The Swing Blue Alliance “Campaign like our Human Rights depend on it” Internship Program is a 10-week internship for highly motivated individuals to help Swing Blue and its partners provide meaningful opportunities for our volunteers to fight for Congress and governorships across the nation. Our internship requires a commitment of at least 5 hours a week.
No matter our color, party, or zip code, we all want an equal say in the decisions that shape our future. Just as we have fought throughout our history for our freedom to vote, Swing Blue Alliance volunteers come together to combat voter suppression across the country. Swing Blue Alliance (formerly Swing Left Greater Boston) is the largest all-volunteer, Democratic organization headquartered in Massachusetts.
Swing Blue Alliance volunteers are using evidence-based interventions in an effort to fundamentally transform our democracy – ensuring that disenfranchised voters, people of color, young people and disenfranchised voters have equal opportunities to exercise their right to vote.
The internship at Swing Blue Alliance was exciting to me because I was able to apply my Political Science and Civic Studies coursework to a cause that I believe in […] I gained valuable experiences in strategy, marketing, public relations, and communications. Everyone on the team was incredibly enthusiastic and motivating to work with. I would highly recommend the internship. -Amanda A., Summer 2021 Intern
Interns will work on a variety of projects at SBA, including those listed below. We strive to match our interns with projects that interest them and will work hard to ensure that our interns develop skills and experience in grassroots organizing. Some of the projects available to our interns include:
- Write compelling communications to be disseminated via email, social media and website for a wide range of audiences. Some past blog posts created by our summer 2021 interns include a discussion of the Latino Vote 2020, best practices for postcard campaigns, and a qualitative evaluation of SBA’s S1 postcard campaigns
- Participate in voter outreach and mobilization, including opportunities to lead phone banks and organize voter outreach via mail and door-knocking
- Use google sheets to support our volunteer outreach program
- Fight disinformation on social media, and help share a positive counter narrative, and train others to do the same
- Using Spanish or Creole language skills to reach out to voters in Latinx and Haitian communities
- Learning about ongoing efforts to boost vote by mail in battleground states across the country
- Interview local organizers and election officials
- Analyze electoral data at the county level, including changes in party affiliation over time, and the effects of gerrymandering on turnout
- Help plan special events and all volunteer meetings, including project management, communications and technical support
- Support our research efforts, particularly through the creation of literature reviews
- Oversee SBA’s content team by managing content requests, coordinating team meetings, monitoring deadlines, and creating and editing content
- Design eye-catching graphics for our newsletters, website, and emails, and for flyers and handouts as needed
- Work with our newsletter team to organize content, write articles following interviews with SBA leaders and party hosts, and edit the newsletter before publication
- With the communications team, design and implement a social media strategy to increase followers, amplify SBA’s mission by sharing newsletters, sharing events, and recruiting hosts
- Collaborate with super state (North Carolina, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Virginia, and Georgia) strategy teams to identify state-level opportunities needs, liaise with campaign and state-level Democratic staff and other nonprofit voter engagement groups, and recruit SBA volunteers to host events as needed
- With the NH super state team, work remotely and in-person to identify non-registered voters on college campuses in NH and convincing them to register
As an all-volunteer organization, Swing Blue Alliance offers unpaid positions in a great learning environment that includes mentorship, expense reimbursement, and opportunities to meet like-minded colleagues.
This internship is remote, with the exception of the NH team position. For interested interns, there are always opportunities to attend in-person events (such as rallies) and to canvas in NH.
- Majoring in the social sciences, data science, or a related field.
- Be willing to commit 5-40 hours per week (really! We are flexible).
- Have good organizational skills and a commitment to detail.
- Have good communication skills.
Interested? We would love to hear from you! Send a resume and cover letter to Julia Thomson-Philbrook at email@example.com to apply or learn more.